Our Guiding Philosophy
IHS has recognized for years that the vulnerable populations we work with, particularly in slums, badly need two things:
1. Critical goods and services that look great, and work well, and are priced affordably, and
2. A job.
When IHS found some really appealing batteries and lights and cookstoves and medical devices that were too expensive but otherwise a perfect fit, we recognized a general problem with a possible solution and decided to do something about it.
We partnered with the former Science and Technology Director for the Governor of Baja California, now a partner at INNOVATIO to find factories in Mexico that could build things for us responsibly, and affordably, and with superior skills, training local people from the community wherever possible. We’ve termed it Socially Responsible Manufacturing. SRM.
By Socially Responsible we mean:
1. Companies that provide a clean, safe, and humane workspace for employees
2. Companies that provide a living wage to every employee
3. Companies that work actively to advance the responsibilities and ensure the equitable income of women and girls, both in technical manufacturing skills and in Management.
4. Companies that look to the slums for their early-entrance workers, and train them for better positions, lifting families rapidly out of poverty by providing education, training, and jobs.
Once we found those factories we looked for those that had an outstanding business reputation for:
quality and reliability,
superior on-time performance,
active international certifications,
very low turnover - a fairly reliable sign of a company doing well by its employees.
local awards for quality and community service,
and similar indicators of a competent, responsible, quality-driven organization.
We started with more than 350 possible manufacturing facilities near the US border in northern Mexico between Mexicali and the Pacific beaches of Tijuana. At the end of our analysis we had found less than 20 of those 350 that met all of our criteria, but they are truly superb companies, by any measure in any nation.
From professional prototyping, through high-speed injection molding, to 3D printing, metal casting, microelectronics, and more, we found some of the best manufacturing companies in Mexico, and they compare favorably to any in the world.
We can now make beautiful and useful things, quickly, responsibly, and affordably.